Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Is It Really January?

Near 60 tomorrow. Chunks of polar ice caps breaking off. I guess that settles the global warming issue for me (if I hadn't known already).

I got to Blood Diamond tonight. An excellent film. I've written here and said many times recently that Leonardo DiCaprio delivers the best performance in this year's best movie, The Departed. And he does. But believe it or not, he's better in Blood Diamond. A commanding performance, very nuanced and convincing in his role. He is superbly supported by Djimon Hounsou, who deserves Oscar's notice. And Jennifer Connelly is excellent as well in her supporting role.

So tomorrow we will make a bit of history in Massachusetts when Deval Patrick becomes our governor. This is a moment I am very exicted about. After a steady diet of weak, distracted, and ineffective governors, who were generally unfriendly toward any causes I support, I look forward to the next four years (or more). Although, I must offer a slight disclaimer and admit that I did like Governor Weld and agreed with him on many issues, and in fact, cast my first vote in 1994 for his re-election, which is still the only time I have ever voted Republican.

I expect Deval will have to confront many obstacles and parry many challenges in the years ahead. But he's up to all of them. I wouldn't have voted for him if I didn't think so. This was the first vote I cast in some time where I felt like I was fully behind the candidate for whom I was voting for what he stood for and what he promised, instead of for what I perceived to be the lesser of two evils or "anyone other than so and so" (in other words, John Kerry). Oh and a note to the senator: please don't try again in 2008. Save yourself the money and embarrassment.