Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A few other movie suggestions...

Hairspray is not as fun as its stage equivalent, but entertaining nonetheless. A lot of toe-tapping and many of the same laughs.

Death at a Funeral had me laughing myself nearly out of my seat in a couple of scenes.

The Bourne Ultimatum is one of the best movies I've seen this year. One thrill after another. Probably a shade better than the two earlier Bourne movies. And a kick-ass chase scene through Manhattan.

In the "oldies but goodies" department ... my southern Italy trip reminded me of two movies I love but hadn't seen in a while. Il Postino was filmed on the island of Salina, where I spent some time in June. And Cinema Paradiso was filmed in Sicily and features some of the same breathtaking scenery. Both are truly great movies. Cinema Paradiso has a rather lengthy director's cut that is worth the time.